Sunday, October 22, 2006

Devotions 22-10-06

Song of Solomon 7: 10-12
(bride) "I am my beloved's and his desire is for me. Come, my beloved, let us go out into the country, let us spend the night in the villages. Let us rise early and go to the vineyards; let us see whether the vine has budded and its blossoms have opened, and whether the pomegranates have bloomed. There I will give you my love."

The bride is very conscious and confident that her and the groom are committed to each other. Trusting commitment is such a beautiful picture. I am so grateful that Mary Lou and I began our marriage with such a solid commitment.

I must have this same solid commitment to my Lord and purpose to love Him as I should.

The bride invites her beloved to go into the country and spend the night in the villages; out where it is quiet and away from all the activity of the city. She has a plan in mind and suggests that they rise early and check how the fruit of the vineyards and the orchards are ripening.

When have I determined to get away from the busyness of the world and spend time with the lover of my soul. The purpose is so we could be together and evaluate how the fruit around me is ripening. Their concern was not just themselves but what is happening that would benefit others. Are people being drawn to the Lord by my life. Is the fruit of God's work in the lives of others ready to harvest.

Then there is the beautiful statement , "There I will give you my love" There is both physical love and spiritual love in this statement. Can I connect the two and realize how each one affects the other.

The giving of your love to your lover is so precious and holy. It is not the sensual and selfish love the world describes and fosters with out any thought of others. This love is beautiful and passionate but is not sparked by what I can get but what I am able to give.

I am not sure I have explained this with the clarity I want but I pray that I would keep learning how this holy love is given and received. It is so far from the love the world pursues or encourages but it alone is fulfilling and accomplished God's purposes.

God's love is so amazing and so fresh to behold. It is a love that is not emotion alone but is filled with purpose and lasting value. Above all it is not selfish but has the concern for others before self. I do not love to get but I love to give what will benefit others. Let me never forget that love is not driven by passion or emotion but by the will. I decide to give my love in such a way that God is honored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home