Friday, October 13, 2006

Devotions 12-10-06

Ecclesiastes 12: 11
"The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd."

I love this verse because it makes so much sense. The words of wise men are like goads, they stir us on to do more and not to become lazy. In the west they have cattle goads which is a stick that they use to push in the side or rear legs of cattle to get them to move where they want them to go. The words of wise men have real answers to living life and the problems of life if I will only listen to them.

But on top of this, those that collect these sayings and master what they say are like well driven nails. As a carpenter you want all your nails to be well driven to make whatever you are building to be sturdy and function as planned. As a young lad helping my dad I was delighted when I got a nail to go in straight and not bend it in the process, that would be a well-driven nail.

So what does it mean to be like a well-driven nail? I think it means to speak with clarity and truth that makes a difference in people lives. I am not just talking a bunch of words that does not make much sense to anyone. What I say people will want to remember because it gives solutions to life's difficulties.

Men and women who speak this way are given by one Shepherd. Jesus is the great Shepherd or the Shepherd of all shepherds. It is God who is in control of such people.

I sure want to be such a man but it requires much diligence and not trying to do more than I should. The Word of God contains many of these wise sayings so that is a good place to start. Lord help me to truly think carefully about what I say and make my words like goads to others and may my life be like a well driven nail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home