Thursday, February 14, 2008

Devotions 14-02-08 (Eph 5:22-33)

Today is Valentine's Day, what an appropriate day to winde up our topic on how a husband should treat his wife or eternal valentine. Verse 31b says "...and he shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh."

The husband is to hold on to his wife as someone he loves and cherishes. It is not a physical holding but one of endearment and sharing of their lives with each other. It is so intimate and giving that they shall become one flesh. Not physically but they understand one another so well and so completely that they seem as one person. I think there are very few people that reach this kind of oneness because they do not listen to what God has instructed us to do in the Word.

This passage is in Gen 2:24 "For this cause a man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." This is God's design from the begining and it is possible by His grace and obedience to His Word.

The intercourse between a husband and wife is a picture of what this oneness should be like. It is a total trust of each other and each are enjoying one another with their whole being; body, soul and spirit. This kind of oneness should be true in our working together and living in the world in which we live. If we lived out the truths of this Ephesian passage of scripture we could experience this oneness with our mates. Not all the time because we are not yet perfect, we are still sinners, but I will know the beauty and wonder of God's great plan of oneness for a husband and wife.

I must remember that physical oneness, intercourse with my wife, is not the basis of living oneness but the other way around. Living out oneness in life gives me the foundation of experiencing physical oneness with my wife as God planned it. Life is truly a spiritual issue and not pleasure or things or anything that is temporal.

Is this worth working for and dying to self and obeying what God tells me to do? I think it is. After nearly 50 years of living with each other and serving the Lord together I feel we do experience this oneness more and more when we are truly in tune with God and seeking with all our hearts to honor Him.

I believe this oneness or unity is what God wants in His church. This book of Ephesians is all about how I can have this in my home and family and with God's people. God is three persons who are one; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Lord, continue to teach me how I can honor You with my wife, family and your people wherever they are. Help me to continue to understand this truth more and more and how to apply it to living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home