Thursday, November 15, 2007

Devotions 15-11-07 (II Peter 1:13-15)

"I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder, knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will also be diligent that at any time after my departure you may be able to call these things to mind."

Let me try to put this in my own words first and I will make some comments about these verses. "God has given me the calling to remind you of some very important things that you need in order to follow the Lord as you should. I am getting older every year and I do not know how much longer I will be with you but while I am here I want to be faithful to you. I want to be diligent in reminding you of your responsibility to the Lord to do your best and work hard knowing that all your diligence and good effort is given to you by the Lord. I want you to remember what God has said long after I am gone."

Again a little review on what I am talking about. We are to be diligent in our faith and to add to our faith the following qualities; moral excellence or virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. This is what I need to be reminded of as often as possible. Who is reminding me of these qualities and keeping me accountable? Who is helping me to keep these increasing in my life as I walk with the Lord?

I am amazed at all there is in these verses of II Peter 1. There is so much to chew on and meditate to make these truths more than just words that I remember. Oh, that they would indeed become qualities in my life that are increasing day by day and year by year. What a privilige to have a wife who does a good job of reminding me of these qualities. I think we can improve on being more faithful in reminding each other more. I would like at least two more people that would be faithful to God and to me to help me pursue these qualities. Two men who would be in the battle with me for these Christlike qualities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home