Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Devotions 06-11-07 (II Peter 1:5-6)

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; and in your knowledge, self control, and in your self-control , perseverance,..."

Today I want to look at the next three building blocks I need in my life; knowledge, self-control and perseverance.

Life is dynamic and never static. Things are always changing. I must keep learning because there is so much to learn especially in the spiritual realm. I must keep growing in my knowledge of God's Word and how it applies to me and the changing world all around me.

As I grow in knowledge I must be mature in how I handle it. I must exercise self-control and use it wisely and prayerfully. So much injury and hurt is brought to others when I do not exercise self-control with truths of God. Someone once said the bible is not a club but a sword. I must use skill in handling a sword when fighting evil.

I also need perseverance or endurance in living out my life. I get tired and even lazy and do not want to keep fighting problems but God urges me to keep going and not quit. Maybe I become weary of having to think so much in my exercise of self-control and just want to back away from issues completely. No, I must persevere and do what is right but in a godly manner and spirit.

Lord, help me to understand these words and how they apply to my life and ministry. I know they are all a part of the character You want to develop in my life. Lord, keep me ever growing and learning and applying Your truths to my life. I must realize that the Holy Spirit will help me in my self-control because that is a part of the fruit He wants me to possess. I think one of the harder things for me to do is to keep going and not giving up when things do not seem to improve. Lord, help me to finish my life strong and even more eager than when I began. I can only do it by Your Grace. I do want to bring You Praise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home