Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Devotions 07-11-07 (II Peter 1:7)

"and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love."

Today is the last three building blocks I am instructed to have in my life; godliness, brotherly kindness and love.

Godliness is to be God like; to do those things that honor God because God created us to live in this manner. I need to spend much time with God in His Word and in Prayer in order to be godly. It does not come naturally but only as I submit my will to His.

Brotherly kindness is to be kind to your brother. This should seem to be so evident but it is not. Am I as kind to my christian brothers as I ought? I am afraid not. Even in this I must take the time to respect and be kind to my brothers and sisters in Christ. I must treat them with respect and dignity. This is kindness in attitude and in my actions toward them.

The last of these is agape love, unconditional love. The love that does not depend on the other person but I love because God gives me the strength to love. Only in this way can I love my enemies and love those that do me harm or seek to harm me. I need all those other building blocks in order to have and to maintain the ability to love as I ought.

It appears that these seven qualities of life are so important in my seeking to live a life honoring to God: moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverence, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. God has given me life in Christ through faith and I did not do anything to have it. He now expects me to be diligent in my faith and cooperate with Him in seeing these qualities in my life and growing as He gives me days to live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home