Thursday, November 01, 2007

Devotions 01-11-07 (II Peter 1:5-7)

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; and in your knowledge, self-control and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness; and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

This is a very interesting passage that requires some time to think on each word and to see how they relate to each other. Why is the sequence of the words the way they are and what should we learn from it. Over the next few days I want to camp here and see what I can learn. I have done this many years ago and I think it is time to refresh my soul on these issues.

I know verse four was about the magnificent promises of God and now says for this reason we need to look at how diligent I am in my faith. What is diligence? One definition is "persevering application". It is a steady and consistent working at accomplishing some task. Diligent is said to be" characterized by steady, earnest and energetic application and effort"

God is expecting some human effort on my part but it is small in comparison to what God promises to do but it is important and significant. So how am I doing at my earnest and energetic application and effort of making God's truths a part of my life and character? I need to do some thinking and meditation on this.

Lord, I do want to be a man diligent in my faith. I must not think that I am earning something or it is me that is doing the work but I must apply what You have told me to do and I must focus on this with a consistency and with whole-heartedness. Thank You for Your Word that is so clear and specific on my responsibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home