Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Devotions 29-08-07

Philemon 10-14

I appeal to you for my child whom I have begotten in my imprisonment, Onesimus, who formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to you and to me. And I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart, whom I wished to keep with me, that in your behalf he might minister to me in my imprisonment for the gospel; but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will.

I want to point out that Paul has a real heart for Onesimus as if he was his child. He also has a very meaningful relationship with Philemon whom he had a significant ministry in his life as well. Both of these men trusted Paul because they knew that he loved them and had their best interest on his heart. This is what discipleship is all about. It is not about recruiting people to help me in my ministry but it is investing in people who will do the ministry you have trained them to do. This training is done in love and intense dynamic relationships.

The book of Philemon is about one man, Paul, writing to one man, Philemon, about one man, Onesimus. It is written to communicate the value of one person and the time that was invested in him to build a deep and effective relationship with God. Paul was able to do this because he had a deep and effective personal relationship with God. I can not teach others effectively what I am not doing.

Lord, thank you for Sid and his investment in my life. He loved me and shared his life with me. I know he prayed so faithfully for me and was always available to me. He lived what he taught me and was a model of a godly man who sought to honor the Lord with his life. This month he went to be with God, his Savior and Lord. He was a precious man to me who I loved and admired. Lord, help me to have a love for the lost that Sid had always telling others about Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home