Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Devotions 21-08-07

Titus 1:7
There are five things an overseer must not do as a steward of God; not self-willed , not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, and not fond of sordid gain.

I had to begin with the dictionary to get some of these words clarified in my own mind. Self-willed is someone who does not yield to the wishes of others. He is not reasonable to deal with. Of course a quick-tempered person is one who has no control over his emotions. He is angered easily. Someone who is addicted to wine is allowing himself to be controlled by his desires. We should not be addicted to anything. A pugnacious person is a belligerent person. He is inclined to be assertive and hostile to others. Last of all fond of sordid gain is to enjoy evil gain.

So how am I doing in these areas of life? Am I a reasonable person to deal with and do others enjoy working with me. Am I a slow tempered person who has control over my emotions? Am I free of any sort of addiction? Am I willing to follow others and not have to be the leader or do I function well as part of a team? And last of all do I seek only for honest gain and turn away from any sort of evil gain?

I do think I am free of these negative things but I want to be always alert to these evils that would disqualify me from being a good steward of what God gives to me. It is not only that I stay away from the bad but I should be doing good and I will look at those tomorrow. Lord, help me not to just know what I should not do but that I purpose that these evils must not be a part of my life or character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home