Friday, December 22, 2006

Devotions 22-12-06

Luke 1:76-77
"And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High;for you will go on before the Lord to prepare His ways; To give to His people the knowledge of salvation by the forgiveness of their sins..."

John was given a very important task by God and we know he accomplished that task. He lived a short life much the same as Jesus; even shorter. What did John really accomplish as the one telling of the coming of Jesus. Much of that is hidden in scripture but we do know that he gave his life in proclaiming this truth.

So this miracle young man, John, came to tell the world that Jesus was coming and he gave his life in proclaiming this message. It seems a waste from a human perspective but not from God's point of view. It was a life focused on doing the will of God and being willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to accomplish it. If more Christians were willing to pay such a price there would be more in the Kingdom of God than there are.

Oh, Lord, to have the focus of John and to give my life completely for Your purposes. This is also what Paul said in Acts 20:24 "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God." I committed myself to do as Paul some 40 years ago. Lord, help me to stay focused on this commitment the rest of the cruise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home