Friday, December 15, 2006

Devotions 15-12-06

Luke 1:8-17
This is the beginning of the Christmas story. Zacharias is told by an angel that his wife would bear a son and that he would be a forerunner of Jesus who would soon be born. He was to name him John and he would prepare the people for the message that Jesus would bring to the world. Many would be filled with joy at the birth of John and his ministry he would bring.

This is not a new idea but something that had been revealed many centuries before through the prophets of God. Now the Messiah is being announced to the world with the coming of John the forerunner of the Messiah. There is so much to learn from the ways of God as we watch this wonderful story unfold.

I pray at this Christmas season I would learn new things and be refreshed with the old truths concerning the ways of God in sending His Son to be the Savior of the world in which I live.

This messenger, to be named John, was born to righteous parents who were seeking to serve God and to honor Him with their lives. They had been deprived of having children to this point but they were being saved for the delivery of a special boy who would be the forerunner of the Messiah. God does use holy and righteous people to bring Him honor and glory. Not religious people but people who truly live out what they believe about God.

This occasion came at a time when no one was suspecting this to come. It was a total surprise to Zacharias and Elisabeth and to the whole world. God does that often so we must be prepared for such a time. I must live life in such a way that at any moment God might require something of me.

Lord, what a privilege to be ready to be used by You for Your work in the world in which I live. I know I must live each day of my life for You in such a way that You would be honored. I may be young or old when You might choose to use me but that is Your choice. I must be ready and faithful and live a life of obedience to Your Word. Or, Lord, continue to teach me Your ways and give be strength to obey. Lord, make this Christmas season a very special one to me and those who I love so deeply; my family and friends and those who are like brothers and sisters and sons and daughters and especially our grandsons and granddaughters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home