Sunday, August 27, 2006

Devotions 26-08-06

Prov 19:1-3
Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than he who is perverse in speech and is a fool. Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge, and he who makes haste with his feet errs. The foolishness of man subverts his way, and his heart rages against the Lord."

Let me try to put this in my own words in the way I understand this. I have looked at a few other translations to help me.

It is better to not have much and to be a man of honesty than someone who has much but can not trusted. It is not good to be without knowledge even though it takes more time because if I am hasty in my actions I can make some big mistakes. A foolish man ruins his life and then blames God.

Our world is so bent on having more and more and I can be influenced by this if I am not cautious. This drive sometimes leads me away from honesty and that will ruin my life. It is far better to have a character of honesty rather than possess much and have a reputation of dishonesty.

It takes time to gain knowledge but it is so essential to make wise decisions. When I take actions without adequate knowledge I make decisions that can hurt me and those that are close to me. Knowledge is an important part of wisdom.

When things do not go well, if I am not careful, I might blame God for my situation. I overlook the fact that I did not search out the truth and I was hasty in my actions. I must be alert to gain knowledge before I make decisions that will have long lasting effects on my life.

Lord, I want to be a man of honesty like my father and be careful in my actions. I want to learn as much as is reasonable before taking actions. This will of course mean serious prayer and getting others ideas. I have not done well at getting others ideas and perspectives. I must not blame God for any difficulties but to welcome them as teachers to be the man God wants me to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home