Thursday, August 24, 2006

Devotions 24-08-06

Prov 17:27&28 (NASB)
"He who restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool, when he keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is counted prudent."

Prov 17:27&28 (The Message)
"The one who knows much says little, an understanding person remains calm. Even dunces who keep quiet are thought to be wise; as long as they keep their mouths shut, they are smart."

I have noticed that when I have time to think of what I should say I can say it in a few words. When I do not have time then I tend to ramble when I am speaking trying to find the right words. I must be careful to not speak when I am not sure what is the right thing to say. Also I must keep a cool spirit or remain calm if I am talking about something that I have strong convictions about and I know others have different opinions.

My father was one of few words and spoke with knowledge when he spoke. He was a great example to me. I think he might have been taught these proverbs when he was a young man.

I can think of several times in my life when I have spoken when I should have remained silent. I got in trouble because I used to many words or else I did not remain calm.

This does not mean that I should be silent and not communicate with others but that I must think before I speak and choose my words carefully.

Lord what a privilege to speak and interact with others. I want to be wise in my communications and to honor You as Your servant. I want to choose my words carefully and to speak with knowledge and understanding. I want to be calm but to speak with convictions when I share Your Word!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home