Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Devotions 15-08-06

Prov 13:10
"Through presumption comes nothing but strife, but with those who receive counsel is wisdom."

It is so easy to presume on what is being said; I just do not want to ask questions and appear to be stupid. Yet when I make assumptions I very often get into trouble and greatly misunderstand what is being said. Even when I am fairly sure of what is being said it good to clarify and be sure.

When there is tension in the conversation it is even more important to get a clear understanding by asking gracious questions. So the lesson is to never assume or presume that I know what the other person is saying. If I do it will end up in strife or arguing and hurt feelings.

Lou and I have been married soon to be 47 years. We have had our experience of presumption and it is not good; we have learned that it does not pay to presume but much better to gain a clear understanding. We become much wiser when we take counsel from each other.

Lord, I want to be a wise man able to receive counsel. I do not want to be threatened by the thoughts of others but to carefully consider their input. I know I get hung up on my ideas many times and think they are the best or what I think God is saying to me but many times I am wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home