Friday, January 18, 2008

Devotion 18-01-08 (Eph 4:1-3)

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, entreat you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

I wrote on this passage of scripture on 06-12-07 and it is here in my blogg. I have been impressed to speak on this passage at church this Sunday. So I have been drawn to this passage again with an emphasis on humility. It is first in a list of
seven qualities we must consider.

Why is humility so important in this list of qualities we need to foster unity in our church or ministry. I think it reduces pride which is such a major barrier to the work of God. The work I do is not my work anyway but it is God who is using an available person to do His work. A person once said that the biggest task for God is to answer our prayer and to get the credit for it. We seem to find all sorts of ways to give glory to others, including ourselves, but we often seem to leave God out of the picture.

Humility is the foundation to build gentleness, patience, tolerance in love and to work at unity and peace. I need these qualities in my life so very much and so desire to do my part to see them to become a part of my character. It is only God who can produce these in my life as I seek to serve Him and to honor Him.

Lord, thank You for the many opportunities to learn from You and the situations You bring into my life. I have been a slow learner and not as attentive as I ought. Thank You for your patience and gentleness with me and the great love I am aware of every day of my life. Help me to communicate what I ought concerning these truths tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home