Thursday, October 11, 2007

Devotions 11-10-07

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Further more if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone?. And if one can over-power him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.

A few days ago I wrote a few words about our 48th Anniversary. I think this is another passage of scripture that Lou and I have shared at times concerning our marriage. I think it applies to more than a marriage but it definitely has truths in it that a good marriage must have.

There are three issues mentioned in this passage. 1. When I am seeking to produce something lasting I need to have someone helping me that is committed to me. We all tend to stumble in what we are seeking to do and I need to have someone help me when I stumble. When building a family it requires a mom and a dad that work together to produce a godly family. 2. The second is a matter of companionship. We all need to feel loved and often we hit problems that make us feel alone and cold. In a good marriage my wife should be that personal friend that brings warmth into my life. 3.We all need protection against those that want to harm us or just discourage us from what we are attempting. The bonds of marriage and commitments are God's design to enable us to do what we could never do alone.

In summary let me try to give these three item a brief sentence.
1. I need a loving spouse who is with me and supportive of me in God's task for us.
2. I need my spouse's warmth to be my companion and friend.
3. We can protect each other as we seek to do God's will for our lives.

Sometimes when I am writing my blog I just cannot seem to say what I really have in my mind. Today is one of those days. I think I have captured the main idea but I wish I could say this better. I think this passage is so great and has so much good advice and I really want to remember and to apply to my marriage. I think I am in measure but I trust I can improve greatly in the months ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home