Monday, July 31, 2006

Devotions 31-07-06

Ps 150: 3-6

"Praise Him with trumpet sound; Praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!"

I remember my high school days playing in the band and being one of the student directors of the band when I was a senior. I enjoyed directing the band and seeing how to blend and to use different instruments to produce a message in song that was enjoyable to hear.

I think the Psalmist is telling me through the different instruments how I should Praise the Lord. First is the trumpet; an instrument to get attention to give proclamation like a fanfare for royalty. I can praise the Lord by announcing to others the importance and value of giving God praise. Rather than just asking God for our needs why not spend some time in Praising Him for who He is.

Second is the harp and lyre; instruments that are good for meditation and reflection. I must make time in my life to be quiet before God and meditate on His greatness and power recognizing that He alone is God; there in no other.

Third is timbrel and dancing; I must get my whole being involved in Praise to God. I must be sure I am not just saying words but I express with my life how great and wonderful and awesome is my God. I think this also speaks of joy and celebrations that should be part of Praise.

Fourth is stringed instruments and pipe; when I look at this I think of an orchestra with an organ. This is when I am in community with others to Praise the Lord. How beautiful when we all join together to lift our voices in song and praise God Almighty.

Fifth is loud cymbals; cymbals are to used to increase our attention and to move us into more dynamic expressions. So as I am in community with others in Praise I can become excited; not in chaos or confusion but in dynamic togetherness. I must let the world around me know that I am Praising God, the Eternal One!

Sixth is resounding cymbals; that is cymbal clashes upon cymbal clashes. This is the height of our community of Praise. I am afraid we do not do this very much and some may never have experienced such a wonderful moment. I hope this will change. It is like the climax or the ending of a great orchestra performance. You jump to your feet in great applause or you sit there stunned by the awesomeness of what you have heard. I want to Praise God with others with such mighty Praise to the only one that deserves such Praise.

With such a climax I am urged to tell everyone that they ought to Praise the Lord. I am so full of Praise myself that I shout with all my being Praise the Lord!! Praise the Lord!

Pray for me as I memorize Ps 150 and make it a vital part of my life of Praise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home